What We Fund
We support people and programs that build health equity by investing in these key issues:
- A healthcare workforce that better reflects the race, ethnicity, and cultural mix of the country
- New pathways to economic stability for families and communities in need, especially those that disrupt systems that perpetuate generational poverty
We are proud to collaborate with and support these organizations:
- Marian Middle School (St. Louis, MO)
- Meharry Medical College (Nashville, TN)
- Wayne State University School of Medicine (Detroit, MI)
Building a Diverse Healthcare Pipeline
Research has shown that health outcomes are improved when physicians and patients share the same race or ethnicity. Yet the diversity in healthcare still lags the population. We are committed to encouraging more students of color to pursue healthcare careers through activities for middle school students, such as #GOALS, and scholarships for medical students.
Postpartum and Beyond
The US is in the middle of a maternal mortality crisis. Today, our country has one of the highest rates of maternal death in the developed world. More than 50% of those deaths take place in the first year after birth, and the outcomes are worst for Black women. We are focusing on the postpartum year when both moms and their baby need and deserve extra support, and are partnering with community-based organizations that provide for both generations at once.
Working with Ascension Investment Management, the Ascension Foundation has directed a portion of our endowment for impact investing. Additionally, we actively seek to support small businesses and our team participates in initiatives designed to help expand inclusivity and diversity among philanthropy professionals.